Human Resources - LOA SpecialistSanta Ana, California Position Type Full Time Req ID: 2021-620466
At Allied Universal®, we continue to build an inclusive, Be Phenomenal® culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates a diverse workplace. It fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our customers and the communities in which we serve. Allied Universal offers so much more than just a job. We offer careers. We take great pride in our promote-from-within culture. There are countless examples of individuals who began their career as Security Professionals and today hold positions on our senior leadership team. We offer medical, dental and vision coverage, life insurance, 401K, employee assistance programs, company discounts, perks and more for all full-time positions! Start your phenomenal career with Allied Universal® today!
Under direction of the Manager of Leave of Absence, the Leave of Absence Specialist is primarily responsible for the direct management and oversight of the Company’s national Leave of Absence program, to ensure compliance based on state and federal regulations and ensure on-going claim management is within company service standards and legal compliance.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Those duties necessary to meet the minimum requirements of the position. Other duties may be assigned:
- Provide leave of absence claim management, with the support of our third-party administrator.
- Provide excellent customer service by providing timely responses while offering education along with expert guidance to all potential LOA inquiries.
- Support the day-to-day LOA administration while developing and maintaining relationships with HR and benefits teams, managers, employees and corporate counsel as needed.
- Participate in and support the team with specific audit and compliance projects.
- Properly engage with managers and Human Resources in the interactive process and document the process concerning reasonable accommodations.
- Serve as the point of contact for phone, emails, and mail communications with employees, management and human resources staff regarding all leaves of absence and related processes.
- Provide instruction to employees and training of branch manager and HR staff on appropriate procedure for all types of leaves, including “interactive discussion” training.
- Maintain accurate records of employee leaves in full legal compliance.
- Create and maintain leave trends including current leaves, returns from leaves and intermittent leave implications (pay, benefits, return to work, etc.)
- Ensure highest level of customer service with client companies and employees and provide responsive support throughout LOA process.
- Review, update and maintain all LOA policies to ensure legal compliance, ensure proper distribution and integration with all other departments and training of HR and non-HR Managers.
- Maintain LOA HRIS (WT).
- Oversee integration of leaves (i.e. Workman’s compensation with FMLA) and integration with other functions (benefits during LOA, payroll, etc.).
- Attend on-going continuing education on LOA topics and ensure 100% federal and state compliance in all areas in which we operate.
- Perform special projects as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or experience required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum High School diploma or equivalent (GED) required; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 3+ years’ specific experience in leave of absence administration in a high volume, fast paced environment on a national level.
- In-depth knowledge of Family Medical Leave Act, Military Leaves, and other applicable federal and state laws, as well as company leave policies.
- Working knowledge of integration of leaves and benefits
- Highly organized and able to think systematically to structure the work and design in a logical flow.
- Ability to deal sensitively with confidential information
- Must be a proactive problem solver and team player who is detail oriented and flexible; a self-starter requiring minimal supervision with the ability to support requests from multiple directions.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters appropriately.
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office products (Word/Excel), and internet and website navigation required.
- Energetic, driven personality with a demonstrated ability to take initiative, successfully handle and prioritize multiple competing assignments and effectively manage deadlines.
- Professional, articulate and able to use good independent judgment and discretion.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills required with the ability to successfully interact at all levels of the organization while functioning as a team player.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use both hands, is frequently required to stand, sit, stoop, talk and hear (communicate verbally in person and via telephone), and be able to read computer screens, correspondence and reports.
- The employee must frequently walk, reach with hands and arms, and may be required to drive a vehicle on a regular basis. Must be able to meet all Driving Patrol Program requirements. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- The job is generally performed in an office environment. The ambient noise level is usually quiet, consisting of normal conversations, business machines (copiers, printers, etc.) and telephones, but occasionally may be above-normal for portions of the shift.
- Employee may be required to travel locally, with approximately 10% overnight travel required.
- The employee must be able to concentrate on details, work under deadline pressures, apply sound logic and judgment, and prioritize tasks and responsibilities.
- Must be able to focus and multi-task in busy environment, with the ability to successfully handle stressful situations in a calm and professional manner. Includes being able to effectively manage multiple employees with diverse personalities and engage them to perform at optimum levels.